Friday, December 21, 2007

It's Good To Be King - Happy Birthday Honey

Today, I not only celebrate my mom's birthday, but my darling husband's. I am married to the love of my life. I'm thankful that he's the one that God gave me to grow with and to learn to love. I'm thankful that I get to do life with Michael.

When we first got married, we had this cute little morning ritual. He'd say, "Good morning my Queen." And, then I'd say, "Good morning my King."

So, what do I like about my Michael? What is it that I'm celebrating? Here's a snippet:

I celebrate Michael this day, because he's one of the most giving men. He gives to me by stopping at Trader Joes on his way home to get a list of groceries or make a bank deposit, or whatever. He gives to our daughters - and pretty much will drop doing what he's doing to help them out: get fresh bread, dig holes for trees, etc. (Special note - Jenni (who is in Spain) and I did NOT converse about this kind of birthday gift to my husband, her dad. When she sent me what she'd written, I asked if she'd seen this and she had not and still has not. Now, how cool is that?)

I celebrate Michael this day, because he's the best Poppi in the whole world. We both say that we're better grandparents than we were parents. For some reason, God saw fit to give us a five amazing grandchilden. I asked them recently what they liked about Nana and the one thing that came out after a long pause was . . .I cook good. Then, I asked them what they liked about Poppi and the list was endless: he jumps on the bump (the trampoline) with us, he wrestles with us, he plays hide and go seek with us, he dances with me, he plays his guitar for me, he sings me 'night night songs", he plays the computer with me, he twirls me around, he . . . and on and on. And, it's all true.

I celebrate Michael today, because his gifts are a gift not only to me, but to so many others. He's a lover of truth, he's philospher with deep thoughts, he loves to express those deep thoughts (which always amazing me how deep they are), he's an artist - he writes music, sings, writes skits, writes for chorus material and other artsy things.

I celebrate Michael because he loves my God, and he lives to put a smile on His face. I celebrate my husband, because he's not afraid of the truth and he wants truth in the inward parts - even if the truth hurts.

I celebrate Michael, because not only is he my pastor, but the pastor/teacher of a people who sit under his teaching, shepherding and discipling. Michael isn't your normal "pastor." He teaches from the heart and mind of a Jewish thinker. Not meaning to sound racists or anything, but a Gentile mind is just different than a Jewish mind.

Michael loves the people he pastors. He knows that he is accountable to God for those in his care. What I love, is that Michael's created a safe place for us, the sheep, to learn and grow and get ready to see God on That Day. He's passionate that we know God's love for us and that we don't get our identity from others, but from God.

What I also love is that our gathering time (Sunday) is a training time. It's not about him - it's about all of us and God and growing and learning and loving. He doesn't "preach" at us - we are able to ask questions, share comments, etc. It's like a big living room with a bunch of sheep and a tender shepherd. What I also love about my pastor husband is that he pastors us through song.




"Honey. . . there isn't space or
place to write the rest of my
heart toward you . . .but just
know that I'm thankful
you're my King and that
I get to be your Queen.
I love you forever."

Stumble Upon Toolbar

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Lylah, your so sweet! What a blessing to be married to a man like Michael!