Thursday, January 29, 2009

comfort food: creamy chicken potpie with rosemary crust

Mom was all about comfort food for her family of six and indeed one of Mom's comfort food growing up was her Chicken Potpie.

Lately, I've been wanting some comfort food. There's nothing like a woman being centered in her home AND having comfort food.

So, last night, I made comfort food. I knew upon seeing this recipe from Chef Amy Barnes of the Sweet Basil Gourmetware that it'd be on my dinner table real soon.

Indeed - lovely comfort food.

Comfort Ingredients:
4 Tbl. butter
1 onion diced
1/3 cup flour
1 teaspoon chicken bouillon or paste [NOTE: I swear by Better than Bouillon paste -probably found at a Whole Foods]
1 cup water
3/4 cup half and half
2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary [NOTE: I use fresh from my garden. It's so easy to grow, at least here in the desert.]
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 Tbl.sherry [NOTE: I used cooking sherry.]
2 carrots diced [NOTE: I used 3.]
3 stalks celery, diced
3 cups or about 1/2 pounds cooked diced chicken [NOTE: I used 3 large chicken breasts that I cooked verryyyyyyyyyy slowly in a frying pan with a touch of garlic salt.]

Piecrust
1 cup flour
1 Tbl. rosemary, finely minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup Crisco [NOTE: Yes, I admit,I used Crisco and it's the first time in at least seven years.]
3 Tbl. ice-cold water


Start your crust prep by chopping your rosemary - really fine.
Then . . .
In a big bowl (for some reason I LOVE glass bowls) add your flour, salt and finely chopped rosemary.
Then add your Crisco . . .

And cut in the Crisco with a pastry blender (a fork will do fine) or with two knives (even better than a fork) until this mixture is fairly course,but uniform.

Sprinkle the cold water with a table spoon, a little at a time and work this into the dough making a nice firm ball. Put this aside and start on the comfort part.

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees and then melt your butter in a large skillet over medium heat.

Dice your onions, dice your celery and dice your carrots. Melt your butter and then add your diced onion and cook this until soft. Whisk in the flour; cook, stirring constantly, for about 2 minutes.

Next, add the chicken bouillon or paste (again, I LOVE the above mentioned paste), add your water, the half and half, your rosemary and the salt and pepper. Mix this up and then . . .

Stir in the sherry (I added an extra tablespoon -because I wanted to). Add your carrots, celery and the chicken that's been cooked and diced.
You'll note that my carrots weren't diced - just sliced. Diced is better. Simmer, covered until the vegetables are tender - about 8 minutes. I cooked it a bit longer, added about 1/2 cup of the broth from cooking the chicken breasts. I think doing this made everything moist and added a bit more flavor (to which darling daughter and husband and one 6 year old grand son could contest too!)

Now, return to your crust - On a lightly floured board roll the dough to a circle - about 1/8 inch thick. The recipe calls for a 1 quart size backing dish (round would be fun), but all I had available was a 1.5 square quart sized baking dish - so, that's what I used and it was just fine.

Fill your baking dish with your comfort ingredients and blanket the dish with your rolled out dough - sealing and crimping the edges.

Bake, uncovered for about 30 - 45 minutes until the gold brown. Makes 4 to 6 servings for hungry little boys and hungry big men. More yummy make ahead food here for you.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

6 comments:

Donna @ Way More Homemade said...

That sounds delicious. I love anything with fresh rosemary.

Dana said...

mom- that potpie was DELISH!!!! i am making it for dinner tonight

Unknown said...

wow. yum.

I will try it.

I miss my rosemary bushes in front of the house. I have to start all over every year with them here.

stink. that and lemons..oh and avacados...two dollars and fifty cents for one black and green, tiny avacado!!

but we have apples and concord grapes and blackberries, so its a trade off...

Anonymous said...

We are more the chicken and biscuit/dumpling family.
Almost the same w/out the crust.

Melissa @ The Inspired Room said...

Oh, how I love Chicken Potpie!! This recipe sounds heavenly, I will make it for sure. I have been needing some down home comfort food too. Thanks for sharing your recipe!!!

love you and sure appreciate all you share with me!!!

blessings,
melissa

Anonymous said...

Lylah-Awesome post!! This looks so yummy. I love all the step by step pics, makes it look easier. Hope you and michael are well. love you guys, meg