Thursday, December 20, 2007

My Mom's Kitchen - Her Chili Recipe. YUM!

My mom is one of God's best cooks!

A few weeks ago, I posted her incredible pototo soup and this past week, I begged her to send me her Chili recipe.

She did so today.

I must say, that my Mom
is a "from scratch only" kind of woman.

I'm proud of that.

Mom says, "I use two of everything."
2 lbs of ground round

Mom says, "Do not use cheap hamburger meat."
Saute one whole onion and 8 garlic minced cloves.
Add ground round and add . .
2 tbsp. chili powder
2 tsp. ground cumin2 tsp. ground oregano
2 tbsp. seasoned salt
1 dried chili pepper, crushed, seeds removed

Then, add 2 cans of diced tomatoes & about 1/4 cup of diced green chillies.
Then add two cans of tomato sauce (10 oz). Take one of your cans and add one cup of water, take second empty can and add one cup of red wine. (Wow, that sounds like it might add some great flavor.)

Next, add two cans of Kidney Beans. Put everything in crock pot and let simmer on low for several hours - at least 4 - 5 hours.

Mom says, "The more you let it simmer the better it tastes."

Stumble Upon Toolbar

3 comments:

Dana said...

go Grandma! so proud of the cooking legacy in our family. thanks mom, for carrying it on and thanks to grandma for starting it.

Mom2fur said...

Hi! Wow, this looks good. I'm going to copy it. I'm always looking for a new chili recipe to try.
Thanks for stopping by my blog. I'm glad you like my blog name, "Sorta Frugal." It's accurate...I do the coupon thing big time, I try to keep spending to a minimum...but I'm danged if I'll dumpster dive or use cloth for toilet paper, LOL!

Mom2fur said...

PS...don't know if I asked, but, was Zane's name inspired by the great author, Zane Grey? And btw, my parents grew up in "Zanesville, Ohio"!