Monday, August 14, 2006

burdens and blessings

This morning began with the normal hustle bustle with three children ready for their day. After the oatmeal (pretty traditional around here), I decided that morning chores would begin. I am a big one to teach little ones how to do chores, and I am thankful that both our daughters have been training their children in this. For some reason, though, today wasn't a day when either older child was interested in doing after breakfast chores. Actually, I don't think I can remember when I was a kid that I ever was interested in doing chores. As a matter of fact, I'm still not particularly interested in doing them. But, it doesn't matter, because it's part of my burden that I get to fulfill with joy.

What was cool was that there was an opportunity for a "Nana Moment" with both Simon and Jillian. I got to talk about ants and bees. Ants and bees. They are hard little workers. They carry their load. They have a burden to bear and they bear it. They both knew that they worked for the queen. I shared with them how their dad, their mom, their poppy and even me all have a burden to bear. Simon knew what all our burdens were. I asked him if his dad would rather do his "burden" or go surfing. He told me he'd rather go skateboarding because he's a skate boarder.

The idea I was trying to get across is that every one has a burden to bear and when we bear it with joy, it has the potential to become a blessing for someone else. The one person I remember bearing his burden with joy was my grandfather - fondly known as Opa. Opa made things with wood. He loved working with his hands, and I never heard him complain or grumble.

As my granddaughter brushed her hair, she stood on a little wooden stool. It just so happened that it's one that Opa made. I know it was his burden made with joy. And, what was so cool, is that she got the blessing - to stand on the stool to see in the mirror. She got to experience first hand how Opa's burden done with joy became her blessing.

It was a good day.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

0 comments: