Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Dinner Tonight: Hot & Sour Cabbage Soup

This is the only way to use left over cabbage! So, guess what I'm making for dinner right now? Yup...this soup. It's awesome and for an extra kick add a few jalapenos to your bowl.

Hot and Sour Cabbage Soup Serves 4
1 Tbs Oil
1 Small Onion, minced
1 Small Cabbage, about the size of a grapefruit
2 Large Carrots, chopped
1 15oz Can Tomatoes, blended smooth
6 Cups Water
1/4 Cup Tamari, low sodium
1/3 Cup Seasoned Rice Vinegar,
1 tsp Hot Red Chili Flakes
1/2 tsp Salt, Black Pepper, to taste (a lot!)

Heat a large 5 qt soup pot that has a heavy lid over medium heat. Add oil and onion, and saute until golden. Meanwhile, quarter your cabbage, remove the core, and shred the cabbage with a large chef’s knife. Add carrots, tomatoes, cabbage and water to the pot and stir well. Add the tamari, vinegar, chili flakes and salt.

Bring to a boil, cover, then turn heat down to medium low. Simmer for 20 minutes or until cabbage and carrots are the desired tenderness. Grind a lot of fresh black pepper over the top and serve.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

2 comments:

vicki archer said...

I have never tried this soup...so I shall just have to follow your recipe, xv.

Lylah Ledner said...

Hello dear Vicki...I'm honored you stopped by to say hello...and try this soup.

BTW - Your french essence is a morning spot with coffee for me :-) Spent last July in San Sebastian and St. Jean de Luce....I'd so live in that community if i could :-)

I think I must get your book!