Wednesday, August 06, 2008

understanding men - part 2

Today, I'm continuing a mini-series I've entitled: Understanding Men.

As a boy grows, his dad’s role remains absolutely vital. In my study through scripture, I found that God intended for a dad to be responsible for a lot of talking, teaching, training, guiding and affirming. Part of a dad’s role is to produce building blocks that teach his sons and daughters about life’s issues.

It’s interesting that, despite the communicate mandate from God, many men have become a angry, passive and silent. Either God's mandate was not modeled for them, they are ignorant of what God says, or they were smothered by mother because their dad was angry, passive and silent. My spiritual mother Nancy always said that no man could win against a strong, determined woman. He would passively get out of the way.

Confused, Passive and Angry Leaders
So, what happens when dad isn’t there to give his son the necessary building blocks? A gender confused son, struggling with passivity, anger, opposite sex bonding, and often sexual addictive problems.

Wonderful authors like Larry Crabb, Stu Webber, Steve Farrar, Leanne Payne, Robert Lewis, Gordon Dalbey, write books that address these kinds of issues that men struggle with.

In the recent years books such as: The Silence of Adam, Your Wife is Not Your Mama, Four Pillars of a Man’s Heart, The Angry Man, Healing the Masculine Soul, Crisis in Masculinity have been written to capture the attention of the wounded male culture.

A Father’s Building Blocks
A father is supposed to teach his son how to be wise and not foolish, how to be a hard worker and not be lazy, what kinds of friends to make, etc.

The “Father’s Building Blocks” have a lot to do with talking, guiding, and instructing his children. “When you rise…when you sit down …when you lie down be careful and teach them to your children…talking about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road…when you lie down and when you get up. Write them on the door frames of your houses and on your gates, so that your days and the days of your children may be many” (Deut. 4:9 and 11:19).

The “Father’s Building Blocks” are necessary components for a boys ability to grow up to be a healthy adult. These building blocks help him mature from adolescent thinking. They help him relate appropriately to others and make positive contributions to society and the Kingdom of God.

Tomorrow I'll address the angry man and if you need to catch up, Part 1 is here.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

1 comments:

Melissa said...

I think you have insight on this topic, I really do. It makes me realize some areas I was struggling to identify in my husband and what areas I need to encourage my husband to know who he is to Tien and me.