Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Adding Drippers to Your Already Existing Drip System

Garden Guy (aka my strong, cute, amazing hubs) has been transforming a regular - ho hum looking back yard full of weeds with a little Bermuda grass into a Sanctuary Garden - full of beauty, color and food for our family.

Since we have an existing drip system on our property, my Garden Guy ventured into the task of adding drips into each garden box so that I don't have to include a watering schedule into my busy, daily routine. Until it's all set up and resolved (figuring out what plants need how much water), I do have to say that I am thoroughly enjoying the calm of watering and tending our Sanctuary Garden.

Patti of Gardengirltv.com was interested in our drip system and so I asked my GG to write a run down on his how to do it. So, in GG's own words, here's his how to do it:

Here are the tools you'll need to install drippers to your 1/2" plastic pipe. I'm new to this and I'm not sure about the wording, but you'll get the general idea:


FROM LEFT TO RIGHT:
The tool to make the hole, single fitting, "T" fitting, adjustable dripper, regular dripper,tubing holder stake.
This blue hole puncher is only about $3.50 @ Home Depot & it's worth getting.

Punch the hole and then . . .
. . . take the "T" fitting (above) or a fitting for a single drip. I'm using the "T" because I have so many drips to install . . .

. . . force the drip hose on to one end of the "T" fitting . . .
. . . measure the distance from the 1/2" tubing to the plant and cut the hose. Do the same to the other drip hose on the other end of the "T" (measure and cut) . . .
. . . place the second drip hose on the "T" and then . . .
. . . pop the "T" into the 1/2 inch tubing.
Then, add the type of dripper you desire - either a regular one or an adjustable dripper. The dripper in this picture is a regular one (with green top). What I added to the dripper (not shown in this picture) was the "tubing holder stakes" These allow you to place the drip in the most efficient place.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

1 comments:

Dora Renee Wilkerson said...

Your garden is looking good.

I need to add one of these to mine this year. Great idea!

Dora Renee' Wilkerson