Thursday, December 27, 2007

Mom's Pennsylania Dutch Potato Soup















Since my first post on my mom's wonderful potato soup, I've made it almost weekly. It's that good. And, because it's that good, I wanted to re-post this recipe from my Mom's Kitchen.

Moms says to:
Peel and cube about 4 to 5 potatoes. I actually add 3 more.
Chop a whole onion and several celery sticks. It's up to you how much.
I add crushed garlic.
Saute this mixture.
Then add the vegee mixture, the potatoes in your big pot and cover it with 32 oz (or more) of chicken broth. I use Trader Joe's.
Then add (gulp) 1 stick of butter and (yum) one cup of sour cream. It's rich and it's wonderful.
Then thicken the soup with about 3 T. corn starch mixed with 1/2 cup of milk.
Add fresh dill. I use dill liberally as I have fresh dill in my garden.
Heat and do not boil. "Mash" the cooked potatoes with a potato masher. DELICIOUS!
For an extra kick, chop finely jalapeno and add it to the soup. This made it more than wonderful.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

1 comments:

Michele said...

This soup sounds delicious! The stick of butter and sour cream might cost me too many Weight Watcher points though. But, maybe I'll make it on my "Fat Fridays" when I splurge a bit. :)