Indulging in sweets is something I must fight against doing because invariably, those sweet little somethings show up somewhere I really don't want them to.
And, yet in all honestly, periodically, I just must have a sweet little something - something chocolaty like a cupcake.
For some irrational reason I can rationalize the OK-ness of eating a "small" cupcake over a "piece" of cake. And, in light of that irrational rationalization, I'm always on the look out for those sweet little somethings.
My mom knows that, so she sent me this clip today highlighting Cupcakes Actually, a sweet little cupcakery in Fairfax, VA who unashamedly admit they are total cupcakes snobs!
Here's their highlighted recipe for Strawberry Fields
(approximately 30 Cupcakes)
- 2 sticks butter (room temperature)
- 2 cups of sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup of canola oil
- 3/4 cup of milk
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 1/2 cup Self Rising Flour
- 1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup fresh strawberry puree
- Cream butter until it is light and fluffy.
- Add sugar and continue beating until light and fluffy.
- Add oil and continue mixing until it is all combined.
- Add eggs gradually so that they mix into butter evenly.
- Combine milk and vanillaand slowly add to mixture.
- Sift flour and mix until combined.
- Scrape bowl and mix completely.
- Add strawberry puree mixing thoroughly and scrape.
- Bake 10 minutes then turn.
- Bake 5 more minutes and test.
- 4 ounces fine-quality white chocolate3 sticks (1 1/2 cups) unsalted butter (room temperature cut into 2 inch pieces)
- 6 tablespoons water3/4 cup sugar
- 3 large egg whites3/4 cup fresh strawberry puree
- Place white chocolate in double boiler and heat until completely melted.
- Let white chocolate come to room temperature.
- Put water insaucepan placing sugar on top.
- Cook on stove using a candy thermometer.
- When sugar mixture reaches 220 degrees start whisking egg whites on high speed until they reach a medium peak.
- When sugar reaches 242 degrees (softball stage), turn merengue down to medium speed and slowly drizzle sugar mixture making sure that it doesn't hit the whisk.
- Continue beating at medium speed until mixture is at room temperature.
- Add butter piece by piece until well combined.
- Add the white chocolate and beat until well incorporated.
- Add strawberry puree and mix until incorporated, scraping the bottom.
Molly's Lemon Cupcakes
How to Eat a Cupcake
Crazy About Cupcakes