Thursday, May 22, 2008

feeling puey - resting

I just hate getting sick (got sick a few days ago). It (duh) slows me down, creates pile ups and forces me to rest. Hmmm . . . I wonder if God might be into that.

Lately, I've been immersed in a prophets writings. This guy Isaiah had some intersting things to say about idols, God's holy mountain, the nations and what it takes to see that God is God. Isaiah also mentions (quite a bit) about Sabbath (rest).

In the first part of his spiel, he says to be just and fair to all and do what is right because I (God) am coming soon to rescue you. (Interestingly, cool.)

Then he writes about the Sabbath as a day of rest and we should refuse to work. (Causes one - me - to ask - what is the Sabbath and what does it mean to refuse to work - like there's work all around me, isn't there always work?)

Isaiah goes to on write about our worship of idols. (Ouch. Big ouch.) He writes that we make idols our inheritance and not God and that we've committed adultery by worshipping these idols and that we are unfaithful. (Wow, strong language. Idols - what are my idols? How am I unfaithful?)

The prophet is writing some hard words that I (and you?) must listen too. I like to think that I love God and yet he writes that I love these idols more than I love God. (Oh, God search my heart and try me - let there be no sin in me.)

Get this part - it's so intense and yet isn't it really what we do sometimes ~ he writes that we grow weary in our search BUT (in spite of growing weary) we never give up and we still strengthen ourselves and go on. He writes that we're more afraid of the idols (and the perceived benefits) than we are of God. No fear of God. No fear of God. No fear of God. Just fear of man.

This part gets me - "Now I will expose your so called good dees that you consider so righteous. None of them will benefit or save you."

And, yet the mercy of God - my Father God - His heart here, "But whoever trusts (TRUSTS, TRUSTS) in me will possess the land and inherit my holy mountain ( I can inherit. . . ). I will say, 'Rebuild the road! Clear away the rocks and stones so my people can return from captivity."

God's Holy Book is so amazing. Sometimes, it seems to be written from so far away and other times it's like God's in my living room and talking to my heart. If only I'd listen. . . . listen . . . listen. Do you listen?

Next - this is the ticket. God writes through Isaiah that he lives with those whose spirits are contrite and humble and that he refreshes the humble and gives new courage to those with repentant hearts.

Thanks God for this resting place - today, I am listening.

Isaiah 56 & 57

Stumble Upon Toolbar

0 comments: